But I came across a couple of gems. One was an excellent train museum in a industrial town called Ipswich. As many good museums do, it manages to mix its theme with some well researched and presented social history.
The other was some great examples of the 'Queenslander' architectural style. Most of these were built in the mid to late 19th century, with the notable features being the large verandahs, timber builds (often raised on stumps), and plenty of windows and doors to ventilate.
As the photos show they make for really attractive buidings; the 'Architecture of Happiness' guru, Alain de Botton, would be pleased with them I'm sure.



2 comments:
Good snaps.
Although I'm more a fan of European architectural styles, the
Aussies definitely have the edge on road signs. Did you actually see a koala flicking an up-yours sign?
I didn't notice that - but it's clearly what he's doing. I've yet to score my first points for road-kill, though I suspect a head on with a kangaroo could be pretty lethal for both involved.
Post a Comment