Tuesday, 17 June 2008

Australian Politicians (2): Pauline Hanson

While on the theme of former Australian politicians here's another example of the rich and varied tradition of representatives down under, although this time very much not one to be admired. It's an incredibly noxious and annoying character called Pauline Hanson.

She's the former leader of a party called 'One Nation', which as the name implied stood on a rather anti-immigration platform (as well as an anti-free trade and subsidies for farmers ticket). Representing the seat of Oxley in Queensland she quickly earned the amusing nickname of the 'Oxley Moron'. Here's a selection of classic quotes why:
  • "I have done my research and challenge anyone to tell me how Aboriginals are disadvantaged when they can obtain 3 and 5% housing loans denied to non-Aboriginals" (hmm Pauline, maybe it isn't only about housing loans?)
  • "I believe we are in danger of being swamped by Asians.... I want multiculturalism abolished" (I wonder how one actually goes about abolishing multiculturalism?)
  • "Do we want or need any of these people here? I am one red-blooded Australian who says no and who speaks for 90% of Australians." (actually you don't speak for 90% of Australians or you'd have been elected rather than the actual result: 4%)
  • Finally, and definitely the best quote that sums it up. Interviewer: "Pauline, are you xenophobic?". Pauline: "Please explain?"



No comments: